Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Chipotle Brownies with Mango Frosting


 This month's Crazy Ingredient Challenge see us pairing mango and chipotle peppers. Sweet mangoes go very nicely together with smokey, spicy chipotle peppers. I tried the combination in a delicious chili over the weekend but ultimately decided that I wanted to share dessert. My original plan was a mango chipotle pie. It would have worked had it not been for that pesky crust. I'm not sure where I went wrong there. A pox on thee, pie crust. I'll try it again eventually. The pie filling is delicious. I'll just have to use a cracker crust instead of trying to tackle my nemesis, the pie dough. But these brownies are great so I'm happy. The smokey flavour pairs very well with the chocolate. I wish I had also added some chipotle to the frosting. Next time!

Life is throwing me lots of curve balls this month so I'll keep this pretty short. Be sure to check out what others made below!

Chipotle Brownies with Mango Frosting

Ingredients
Chipotle Brownies
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper, to taste

Mango Frosting 
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup mango puree
1/2 cup butter, room temperature

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 F. Line an 8" x 8" baking pan with a parchment or foil. Allow some of the parchment or foil to hang over so that the brownies can be removed easily.
Beat together sugar, eggs and vanilla then mix in melted butter.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt then stir into the wet ingredients until combined. Add chipotle pepper to taste.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs.

For the frosting, whisk together flour and sugar in a small saucepan. Mix in the mango puree then place over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Stir it as it cooks to keep it from sticking. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature. 

Transfer the mango mixture to a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Add the butter and beat until the frosting reaches your desired consistency. Spread over cooled brownies.

post signature

9 comments:

  1. These look wonderful Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Kel. It never occurred to me to go with a dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost made a chili, then I thought ice cream but my machine is in storage. Love the brownies and especially the frosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream was on my mind too! I even found a recipe for grilled mango and chipotle ice cream. The frosting was my favourite part.

      Delete
  4. Pie crust used to be my nemesis too, until I found a fool proof recipes. But you can't go wrong with brownies. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to find a way to beat even the foolproof ones. I am making a crust tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

      Delete